Unlocking Kindness with Key Club

“Key Club is a community service based club that focuses its efforts on helping community members in need… In previous years we have also visited the Atria to spend time with local senior citizens but with COVID-19 there are some difficulties with continuing events like that. I really enjoy being a part of Key Club because it is a fulfilling way to get together with peers and help others,” said senior officer Sofia Buziashvili.

Key Club is an international service organization that has a chapter at our very own school. It aims to encourage leadership through helping others, whether that be through fundraising, donating, or running charitable events. In Key Club, students make valuable experiences when they work together with their peers to help others.

Key Club places a big emphasis on giving back to the community. This Thanksgiving, they participated in Turkey Drive, a fundraising event where members prepare meals for those in need. Key Club has also done other charitable acts, such making snack bags for the Mary Brennan INN Soup Kitchen and running coat, food, and book drives.

Aside from fundraising activities, Key Club also acts as a bridge between high school students who want to tutor middle school students in need of academic assistance. Members who are interested put their name on a list with subjects they are available to tutor in. Officers then match them with middle school students who have reached out for help. Not only does this system benefit the academic prowess of both individuals, but it strengthens our school district community as well. High school students dedicating their time to help those younger than them who need assistance is an example of the ideology that Key Club promotes. 

Senior officer Sofia Buziashvili said, “Key Club is a community service based club that focuses its efforts on helping community members in need… In previous years we have also visited the Atria to spend time with local senior citizens but with COVID-19 there are some difficulties with continuing events like that. I really enjoy being a part of Key Club because it is a fulfilling way to get together with peers and help others”.

Key Club officers Lauren Benhuri (left), Maya Slobin (middle), and Sofia Buziashvili (right) during a fundraiser for the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen. (Credit: Mrs. Cohen)

Key Club doesn’t just exist in our school; it has chapters in more than 5000 high schools across 38 countries around the world. In total, Key Club has 270,000 members! 

Key Club senior officer Oliva Yeroushlami actively tries to recruit new members who are passionate about fundraising and helping the less fortunate. “Students should join our club here in GNNHS because it strives to provide aid within the community and join/lead initiatives in order to help others. All members are fundamental to pursuing the club’s initiative and making a significant change. I look forward to [it] due to all of its incredible collaborative efforts and new opportunities to volunteer and help people. Our traditional year events, including drives/collections and various other activities, are not only opportunities to work with fellow members but also to make a change.”

Key Club runs on Thursdays at 2:40 p.m. in the little theater. (Classroom code: kxgnsay)