A Helping Hand

A Helping Hand

Veronica Kordmany, Sports Editor

When a fire took away the home of many Great Neck families last week, the student body was quick to come to their aid. Multiple GoFundMe pages were created by several students of the senior class, and clubs collected money through bake-sales. The senior seminar Reflections quickly joined in to collect money to support these families through a difficult hardship.

Reflections is a community-service based class taught by English teacher Ms. Tunick and Social Studies teacher Ms. Ostrover. Reflections designated their efforts towards helping the victims of the fire. Between the two class periods last week, one group of students worked to create cardboard-charity boxes, while the next period’s group used these boxes to go from classroom-to-classroom, asking for spare change or bills.

While many predicted the total amount of donations to be less than triple digits, the total had come out to $1,081.11, more than anyone could have imagined. A participant reflected, “… it was one of the best moments of my life, seeing Mr. Levine’s reaction.”

Along with an abundant amount of donated supplies for the basic needs of the families, that day the families received the donated money raised by the Reflections program. The GoFundMe pages have also brought in an exorbitant amount of money for the victims, exhibiting the tremendous support of the Great Neck North family and giving hope that the worst of times has come and gone.