The Brock Turner Case

The Brock Turner Case

Veronica Kordmany, Sports Editor

Stanford University athlete Brock Turner was charged and arrested in January 2015 when two other students found him late at night raping an unconscious girl behind a dumpster. Turner, later dubbed the “Stanford University Swimmer,” was convicted on three counts, and sentenced to six months in jail by California Superior Court Judge, Aaron Persky. The judge’s decision received massive backlash as many expected a harsher sentence. The Court retaliated with the weak argument that a harsher sentence would have a “severe impact” on Turner’s future since he enrolled at Stanford University with a full athletic scholarship for his performance in swimming.

The victim accused Turner of a lack of “sincere remorse or responsibility for his conduct.” While Judge Persky refuted the statement, the woman issued a letter that created a profound impact on many. Turner initially faced up to 14 years in state prison, he was was let off after serving three months of his six-month sentence for his “good behavior.”

Persky was removed from a sexual-assault case not too long after, when the Santa Clara County district attorney questioned his ability to handle cases fairly. Later discovered, he had ‘gone easy’ on both Turner and another student-athlete, who had been charged with domestic abuse.

Earlier this month the Brock Turner case was revisited when his legal team filed for an appeal. Turner’s legal adviser John Tompkins called the original trial “a detailed and lengthy set of lies.” According to court documents, the assault did not actually occur behind a dumpster, but in a “completely open setting.”

The lawyers are hoping that the appeal trial will overturn Turner’s convictions, which label him as a permanently registered sex offender. The motion also argues that the jury did not see enough character-evidence, citing that he was not considered for a lower-level offense.