A Common Feeling: Anxiety

Emily Hakimi, Contributing Writer

Anxiety is something that hits every single student like a brick once they enter high school. Even the more laid back students, or the ones who generally “don’t care” about school or their grades experience a spike in anxiety. No one is better equipped to talk about anxiety than a trained professional. Occupational therapists can be instrumental in helping students get through high school. Everybody has a relatively tough time in high school for one reason or another, and nobody needs to feel ashamed to seek help. According to the school psychologist Ms. Scholl, “The feeling of anxiety does not necessarily equate to an anxiety disorder. Although anxiety disorders are very common mental illnesses, anxiety about too much homework, and annoying parents or teachers, and too many tests and quizzes, and changing relationships is much more common.” Every student is affected by some form of anxiety, so it is about time to address it. The signs and symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder include an excess of any of the following for several months in a row: restlessness, fatigue, irritability, uncontrollable worry, and problems sleeping. Anybody experiencing these symptoms should be open to seeing a therapist because they can help one understand that his issues are not just unique to him or herself. Maybe a therapist can even shed light on the fact that it is perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed or stressed.

Teen stress is an issue that impacts each and every high school student. Whether the stress is work-related or relationship-related, in a poll held at Great Neck North High, nearly all high school students reported feeling stress in their day to day lives. Health teacher Ms. Mock asserted, “In order to communicate best and minimize stress, it is important to speak in an assertive voice. That means you speak confidently and in a positive tone. Negative forms of communication such as the passive voice, where you are not communicating exactly how you feel can contribute greatly to stress.” When it comes to stress, teens need to remember that they are not alone. It is okay to talk about one’s struggles, and it is important that one speaks in the proper way. Someone is always available to listen and understand. Whether it be a friend, a family member, a guidance counselor, a trusted teacher, or a therapist, everyone can relate to feeling stressed. At a certain point, people need to remember that the world is not on their shoulders, and it is okay to let go and reach out to someone else for help.