MENU

The Final Bus Tour

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Final Bus Tour

Isabel Yang and Michelle Goh

Every year, North High school students from the Symphonic Orchestra and Symphonic Band go to the Saddle Rock auditorium in order to perform fascinating pieces and to inspire the musical interest of primary school children. Designated senior musicians speak about their personal experiences being under conductor Mr. Rutkowski’s wing. The visit is intended to motivate children to start playing instruments at a young age and continue through high school, which ensures the bright future of North’s orchestra.

On Jan. 26, Mr. Rutkowski’s talented musicians headed to Saddle Rock Elementary School for the 27th Annual Bus Tour. This year’s Bus Tour was the last one for Mr. Rutkowski, as he will be retiring soon. 

The day started off as hectic as usual. Some musicians decided to sacrifice their sleep to take midterms before heading to Saddle Rock. Mr. Rutkowski recognized these students during their performances. Special guests also came to watch the last final bus tour: Superintendent Dr. Teresa Prendergast, Assistant Superintendent Dr. Joseph Hickey, Board Trustee Rebecca Sassouni, Jessica Vega, Sharon Levy, and Karen Lee.  

This year’s final tour program revolved around the theme “Music that Tells a Story.”  The Symphonic Band opened the concert with the “Overture to The Italian in Algiers” by Gioachino Rossini, and the “Overture to La Forza del Destino” by Giuseppe Verdi. Then, the Symphony Orchestra performed pieces by Tchaikovsky such as “Swan Lake,”  “Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture,”  “1812 Overture,”  “Carmen by Bizet,”  “Overture to Die Fledermaus” by Strauss,  “Phantom of the Opera” by Weber, and  “Mambo” from West Side Story by Leonard Bernstein. Each piece was either from a ballet or an opera. After the teachers finished dancing around the auditorium in a conga line, a great round of applause transcended through the room as Mr. Rutkowski concluded the concert with a quote “Music brings all kinds of people together to BEST way possible.”

About the Writers
Isabel Yang, News Editor

Isabel Yang is Guidepost’s News Editor. She is passionate about music and volunteer work, and enjoys listening to music and movies as well. She is also...

Michelle Goh, Editor-in-Chief

Michelle Goh is one of Guide Post Online’s Editor-in-Chiefs. She is extremely passionate about computer science and physics. Michelle is the president...