The Time’s Up Club

The Times Up Club

Veronica Kordmany, Sports Editor

“Historically, AFW, now Time’s Up, has worked to raise awareness for victims of domestic abuse and violence, those living in homeless shelters and issues in general facing girls and women across the globe. We raise funds and send a check annually to a woman’s organization. Additionally, we sponsor a successful annual clothing drive (which is coming up soon) to further demonstrate our support. The Time’s Up Club, which is really a movement, welcomes everyone (male, female, LGBTQ) and endeavors to provide another support team in the building.”

“When attending our weekly meetings, one can expect to read, hear and view clips from authors addressing women’s issues on education, disparities in the workplace, domestic abuse and violence, rape, discrimination, bullying, image, identity, relationships, and much more. By extension, we plan to bring in speakers and organize events to further highlight these issues.  The clock has stopped ticking on sexual assault, harassment and inequality. The name was changed to reflect the fact that “Time’s Up” on the big screen, in the real world and here at Great Neck North. When attending our weekly meetings, one can expect to read, hear and view clips from authors addressing women’s issues on education, disparities in the workplace, domestic abuse and violence, rape, discrimination, bullying, image, identity, relationships, and much more. By extension, we plan to bring in speakers and organize events to further highlight these issues.  The clock has stopped ticking on sexual assault, harassment and inequality.”

The Actions for Women club at Great Neck North has taken after the famous Time’s Up Movement, by christening its name to the “Time’s Up” club. According to advisor and Study Skills teacher Ms. Lane, “the name was changed to reflect the fact that ‘Time’s Up’ on the big screen, in the real world and here at Great Neck North.” Most of the club’s efforts are directed towards raising awareness for “victims of domestic abuse and violence,” those without homes, and females who endure a spectrum of grievances. Club members raise money to donate to various women’s organizations, and also have a successful clothing drive every year to help those in need.

Members can expect to address a variety of women’s issues embedded in education, work, relationships, image, and self-identity, through video clips, articles, and live speakers. “The clock has stopped ticking in sexual assault, harassment and inequality,” Patrice stated, “The Time’s Up Club, which is really a movement, welcomes everyone (male, female, LGBTQ) and endeavors to provide another support team in the building.” Dr. Krauz is very supportive of the efforts of Dr. Patrice and the members of the club. He hopes that the club will “humanize” the student body and make “boys and girls more sensitive to the issues of the opposite gender.”

“The clock has stopped ticking on sexual assault, harassment and inequality,” announces Dr. Libra. The Time’s Up club will meet regularly on Wednesdays after school.