MENU

The Parkland Shooting

Michelle Goh, Features Editor

At least 17 people were murdered on Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, FL. The suspect in custody is identified to be Nikolas Cruz, a 19-year-old former student that was expelled from the school due to unspecified disciplinary reasons.

Investigators believe that the Cruz pulled a fire alarm to draw more people out of classrooms to increase the number of casualties. Coincidentally, the school held a practice fire drill earlier that day which led to people thinking it was a false alarm, until they heard gunshots. Some people left the building while others hid in classrooms as the school went into lockdown. Teens frantically pulled out their phones to text loved ones and share photos and videos on social media. Law enforcement was alerted shortly before 3 p.m. of a shooting at the High School. Overall, it was a traumatic, panic-filled, and heartbreaking experience for many. “It’s really a blessing to still be alive,” Freshman Kayden Hanafi remarks.

The shooting had sent students and staff rushing out of the school. The suspect had tried to mix in with the crowd of students to try to escape, but that did not work. There were both students and adult casualties. Twelve were killed inside the building, while two died outside. One died in the street and two died in the hospital. Others were injured and were sent to local hospitals for immediate treatment.

Ironically, Parkland was named Florida’s safest city last year. The city’s number of reported violent crimes and property crimes are relatively low, which earned Parkland this title.

This tragedy will definitely be regarded in politics and debates regarding gun laws.

“We did everything that we were supposed to do. Broward County Schools has prepared us for this situation and still to have so many casualties,” teacher Melissa Falkowski states, “for me, it’s very emotional because I feel today like our government, our country has failed us and failed our kids and didn’t keep us safe.”
Investigators identified the type of firearm Cruz used, but are still trying to better understand Cruz’s motives and how he obtained the gun. From tracking Cruz’s digital footprints, police have encountered some very disturbing content, which infers that the suspect can be mentally disturbed.http://iframe src=”https://www.nbcnews.com/widget/video-embed/1161943107662″ width=”560″ height=”315″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen>

About the Writer
Michelle Goh, Editor-in-Chief

Michelle Goh is one of Guide Post Online’s Editor-in-Chiefs. She is extremely passionate about computer science and physics. Michelle is the president...

1 Comment

One Response to “The Parkland Shooting”

1. John Jiler on November 16th, 2018 9:38 am

THE NOTORIOUS NINETEEN
    Dear Editor;
    Autumn is deepening, and seniors are seriously thinking about their next step. For many of us, your generation is the hope of the future. The Parkland high school shootings galvanized young people across the nation to passionately advocate for common sense gun laws. Now, as your attention turns to college, we want to turn our admiration into action.
    With the help of the Brady Center, the new Gabby Giffords consortium, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, we’re reaching out to high school journalists across the country with our list of the NOTORIOUS NINETEEN—the states with dangerous, inadequate gun laws. Many of them condone the open carry of weapons on college campuses, but even those who don’t have encouraged or tolerated a state-wide, lawless violent culture. Our mission is to make these states known to high school seniors, whom we encourage NOT to apply to college in:
    ALABAMA, ALASKA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, IDAHO, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, UTAH, WEST VIRGINIA, and WYOMING.
    We’ll be following up with letters to college presidents, Governors and legislators of the “Notorious Nineteen.” If they’re curious why their state-wide college applications are down this year, we’ll be happy to tell them!
    Thank you for considering the publication of this letter in your newspaper. This is how the world changes. Good luck throughout senior year…… and beyond!
    Best,
    John Jiler,
    Coordinator,
    Committee for Scholastic Action On Guns

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Parkland Shooting

Feature

College Application Wrap-up: A Season of Stress

• The Parkland Shooting

Feature

Review: That crepe place finally opened!

• The Parkland Shooting

Feature

The Future Leaders of the Free World: Model UN

• The Parkland Shooting

Feature

Top 10 Funniest Teachers

• The Parkland Shooting

Feature

Michael Babumba — Overcoming life despite its challenges

• The Parkland Shooting

Feature

Stage Crew, Pulling The Strings Behind The Musical

• The Parkland Shooting

Feature

A New Challenger Has Appeared: Esports Club

• The Parkland Shooting

Feature

Pep Rally

• The Parkland Shooting

Feature

Hallway Wars

• The Parkland Shooting

Feature

Quiz Bowl Recap

The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School
The Parkland Shooting