Science Research Seminar’s Trip to Bear Mountain

Michelle Goh, Features Editor

After almost an hour of mountain climbing through branches, over rocks, and on snow, a familiar feeling of satisfaction washed over the entirety of the Science Research Seminar as the group arrived at peak of the mountain. In a matter of seconds, friends were banding together to smile for pictures, taken through phone cameras facing an expanse of breath-taking upstate scenery. This pivotal moment was similar to that when the Seminar had last reached the top of the mountain at Mohonk two years ago; however, due to increased prices, the Science Research Seminar was unable to take their annual trip to where students and teachers could experience immersion into nature and teambuilding between students with similar aspirations. This year, an alternative was devised: on March 12, the research classes went to Bear Mountain as a replacement for the “Mohonk Trip.”

Bear Mountain was not exactly a replacement. For starters, the weather was pretty chilly and many students shivered in the cold after getting off the buses. Fortunately, the students soon warmed up after hiking towards the peak of the mountain following “Bear Mountaineer” Ms. Lerner. The nature of the hike was different: The Bear Mountain trail was much longer and more intense than the one at Mohonk, while following a teacher as one big group did not provide the feeling of freedom older students experienced at Mohonk, where they formed little groups instead. Moreover, although the views from several places along the trail were very aesthetically pleasing, some students say that Mohonk was even more stunning, but this was mainly attributed to the timing, as the Mohonk trip took place in the fall.

When the group of researchers hiked down from the peak, they returned to the inn and were warmly greeted by set tables and a hot buffet. The students and teachers had lunch and enjoyed the food, some saying that the food was even more delicious than that of Mohonk’s. Later, everyone went to visit and ride the hand-carved and hand-painted merry-go-round. The carousel was painted with motifs regarding Bear Mountain and surrounding areas, while the animals were very vivid and intricate. Despite many students being seemingly too old to ride a merry-go-round, everyone enjoyed the ride with light-hearted laughter and nostalgia. After, the students boarded the buses, and headed back to Great Neck after a fun and relaxing day.

Overall, this experimental trip to Bear Mountain was considered a success. The small group of juniors who participated in the trip’s development have gathered feedback and suggestions and how to improve the trip, and seek to work with teachers of the seminar to plan a better trip for next year.