Second Wave of COVID-19

How should North High proceed if we are hit by a second wave of COVID-19?

Nassau County is on a rise for new cases, showing 124 new COVID cases confirmed on October 6 with 24 COVID patients being hospitalized. In comparison, there were only 62 new COVID cases confirmed on September 22. 

Health experts and epidemiologists explain that although the number of currently infected COVID-19 patients remains low, the number is slowly beginning to rise, and the near future depends on how well residents of Long Island practice social distancing.

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo warns New York that the crisis is definitely not over yet, and that they are receiving new positives daily. Especially with the recent opening of schools, Cuomo thinks that the spread will be inevitable, comparing the virus to football: “Maybe we are at halftime in the game and we ended the first half in good shape after a brutal first half and we’re in the locker room.”

The rise of new confirmed COVID cases within both Nassau and Suffolk counties. (Source: projects.amny.com)

“I think due to COVID cases school will eventually close… Although North High is strict with their policy and does cleanings around the school, the social distancing in the hallways aren’t the best, even if the classes are well spread” said freshman Romina Ozari.

Similarly, junior Maya Slobin said, “Right now with cases on the rise, I think it’s definitely a possibility that schools could end up closing down.”

Elsewhere in the state, schools have already seen closings if they are in the nine ZIP codes that were outlined by NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio. In these areas, not only are 300 schools due to close, but nonessential businesses are closing as well for two weeks or until there are seven consecutive days of positivity rates below 3% in those regions. 

Nassau County, like NYC, has released a plan because of the spiking of COVID-19 cases. The plan is outlined by areas noted as “red”, “orange”, or “yellow.” Currently, there are no red areas in Nassau County.

Red, orange, and yellow classifications of Covid “hot zones” and actions to be taken to reestablish safe environments for community members. (Source: abc7ny.com)

In red areas, houses of worship will only perform at 25% capacity with 10 people maximum. No mass gatherings will be permitted. Nonessential businesses and schools will close, and only takeout dining is permissible.

In orange areas, houses of worship may perform at 33% capacity with a cap at 25 people. Socially, people may not meet in groups larger than 10 people and a maximum of 4 people are allowed per table in outdoor dining establishments. Nonessential businesses such as gyms and personal care are due to close, and schools will be remote learning only.

Yellow areas have the greatest leeway. Houses of worship may perform at 50% capacity with no given limit. Mass gatherings of a maximum of 25 are allowed, businesses are open, and both indoor and outdoor dining are permitted. Schools must abide by mandatory weekly testing that begins the week of October 12th.

Eden Reznick, a junior at North High, voices her opinion on the color zones: “If our school was in the yellow zone, I would totally be fine with having mandatory weekly COVID tests. It will be something that will take some getting used to if it were to happen, but after the first few tests I don’t think it’ll feel as unusual as we imagine it to be.”

More precautions are to come in GNNHS if Great Neck goes into the yellow zone. (Source: Aarp.com source)

Slobin agrees with Reznick on yellow zones: “I wouldn’t mind if we were tested frequently as long as we could keep everyone safe. If the virus were really on the rise, I would consider voluntarily going fully remote in order to keep myself and my family safe.”

Junior Serena Eshaghoff, offers a different perspective. If North High were to fall in the yellow zone she feels “scared of getting a COVID test.” and believes that “our school will close down again simply because Great Neck has herd immunity.”

Great Neck is currently not included in any of these color-coded zones. At North High, 1,135 students, 134 teachers, and 61 staff all work to maintain on-site classes. Since the beginning of the school year there have been a total of 2 reported positive cases of COVID-19 among students and no cases among faculty at GNNHS. 

Eshaghoff said, “I definitely feel like GNNHS is doing a great job and I totally feel safe. Kids are turned away from school if they have symptoms of coronavirus and that makes me feel comfortable.”

Teachers and students have been required to follow through with two weeks of remote teaching or learning from home as a result of exposure to the virus outside of school, all in the hopes of keeping our school a safe community for all. Cases are being closely monitored by the GNPS administration and New York State.