Driver’s Ed: How it Works

Drivers Ed: How it Works

Chloe Nogreh, Feature Writer

Many teens can not wait till they turn 16 years old. Entering this age opens the world of of opportunities. One main opportunity many Juniors look forward to is learning how to drive. Driving is a huge responsibility and also a great privilege. After going through a certain process, juniors then will get their learner’s permit, followed by their Junior license. While students with a Junior license are not allowed to drive to school, students with a Senior license may drive to a school or work place.

The first step for juniors to gain their learner’s permit is to take a Driver’s Ed course. Driver’s Education is a course that prepares new drivers to pass their permit test and obtain their learner’s permit. Thus, this Driver’s Ed course is the basis to their driver training. Additionally,  Driver’s Ed teaches soon-to-be drivers the knowledge they need in order to be ready to get behind the wheel.
To take Driver’s Ed, individuals must be at least 16 years old. Upon completion of their Driver’s Ed course, they will receive a Certificate of Completion. It is essential that individuals do not lose this document, since they will need it tas proof that they have successfully completed the course. The next step of the process is the physical behind the wheel training. The students must complete a certain minimum amount of hours with a driving instructor in order to receive their learner’s permit. In New York, people under the age of 18 must complete a minimum of 50 hours of supervised practice driving before they are allowed to take their road test. This minimum of 50 hours of supervised practice driving must include at least 15 hours at night (after sunset), and at least 10 hours in moderate to heavy traffic. This training is the most practical part of Driver’s Education since it prepares people for driving on the roads.

After students complete the Driver’s Ed course and practice driving with an instructor practice, they then may apply for their learner’s permit. First, students must pass both a knowledge test and vision test. In order to prepare for this, students will refresh what they have learned in their Driver’s Ed course by studying their driver handbook which includes the laws, traffic sign meanings, and information to prepare for their written exam. The written exam contains 20 questions, of which, students must answer at least 14 questions correctly. Additionally, when students apply for their learner’s permit, they must make sure they have all of the correct forms and documents with them. They must bring their birth certificate, proof of U.S. citizenship, proof of full name, social security number, certificate of completion from their driving school, and lastly, the supervised practice driving completion form.

Only after the completion of this lengthy process could students receive their learner’s permit, and soon their license. Obtaining a learner’s permit is very exciting, as students are now able to drive, but with adult supervision. In Great Neck North High School, Juniors with their license are able to use their very own junior’s parking lot, which is a great privilege to have.