New Management System Causes Concern Amongst Students

As students at North High have transitioned into the new school year, various changes occur: new classes, new teachers, and a new grade level. Among these changes, North High has transitioned the IPad Management System from Airwatch to Mosyle for all students in the building. This change has left many students with questions regarding the purpose of the update along with how their notability files will be affected by the update.

This new Management System is said to improve admins ability to enforce operating system updates across the school. It is built into the platform, fully enforced, and supports both major and minor OS updates.

Mosyle improves the ability for the iPads to automatically block off any content that can compromise personal information through blocking suspicious websites. The software also blocks unauthorized apps from the Mosyle catalog, preventing students from downloading certain apps.

“Even though Apple Classroom serves a similar purpose, I feel like our school iPads switching to a new management system is a little bit questionable. I would have thought that since our previous system is fine, what is the need to change the system?” said junior Brandon Sharif.

Another key feature to the software is that teachers now have the ability to lock student’s iPads onto certain apps for a given amount of time. Teachers also have the ability to view and monitor every student’s iPad screens, without having to require students to turn on their Bluetooth. 

“The new software seems to be unnecessary. So far it has only brought trouble for students” said Junior Eitan Zargari who voiced his concerns about the new system, after having to visit the school library multiple times throughout the course of Friday, September 24th, the day in which the Junior’s iPads were automatically switched over to the new system. 

Students in each grade have had various troubles with switching over to the new system, with some students having their notability notes deleted as well as being locked on the Manager app for an extended period of time. 

“On Friday I was locked out of my iPad for the whole day, after restarting it multiple times it finally started working when I arrived at my house” said junior Isaac Omid.

All in all, the transition into the new management device has been a difficult one for everyone involved but it can be a good way for teachers to ensure students remain on task in class as well as a way to keep students protected from cyber attacks and compromisation of their personal information.

(Source Mosyle.com)