School Shooting At Oxford High School

On Nov. 30th, a gunman shot 11 students at Oxford High School. Four students were killed, and many others were left seriously injured. 

Ethan Crumbley, a 15-year old student, was later arrested as the suspect of the attack. The following day, he was charged with four counts of first-degree murder and one count of terrorism. Crumbley could have a life sentence if he is convicted. Later that week on Dec. 3, prosecutors decided to file involuntary manslaughter charges against Crumbley’s parents, Jennifer and James Crumbly. According to the prosecutors, they had bought the semi-automatic handgun that was used in the shooting as a Christmas gift to Crumbley.

According to the prosecutor, The day before the shooting, a teacher had seen Crumbley searching on the internet for bullets during class, which had led to a meeting. Allegedly, a teacher also found an alarming note he had drawn, which included images of a person who had been shot, a gun, the words, “Blood everywhere,” and “The thoughts won’t stop. Help me,” along with a laughing emoji. The authorities told the judge that investigators found two videos from the suspect’s cell phone that were recorded the night before the school shooting. In the video, Crumbley could be seen talking about shooting and killing students during the next day at Oxford High School. Authorities also mentioned that they found a journal in his backpack that also detailed his desire to “shoot up the school.”

The tragic gunfire in Oxford Village, only thirty miles north of Detroit, adds to a growing list of deadly school shootings in the United States this year. Throughout 2021, there have been 32 shootings on school grounds across the nation. 10 students have been killed, while 53 people have been injured. 

As more information about the case becomes more available to the public, students at GNNHS question some of those involved in the situation. Sophomore Liam Kashenijad said, “[It was] extremely negligent of the parents to give him a gun after they knew he had plans to shoot his school”. Others question the security of Oxford High School. Sophomore Randy Taledo expressed, “It was devastating. I think security should have been better”.

Regardless of whether they were or were not affected by the school shooting, millions of Americans are hungry for justice. When CNN asked her about Crumbley’s case, Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald explained, “There is no playbook about how to prosecute a school shooting and candidly, I wish I’d never even had — it didn’t occur so I wouldn’t have to consider it, but when we sat down, I wanted to make sure all of the victims were represented in the charges that we filed against this individual… If that’s not terrorism, I don’t know what is.”

In honor of the victims, The Detroit Lions held a moment of silence before kickoff at Ford Field during their game against the Minnesota Vikings. Aside from the Lions, the University of Michigan football team featured Oxford’s “Block O'” logo on the Wolverine uniforms when they played against Iowa in the Big Ten championship game on Dec. 4 in Indianapolis.

In mourning the loss of their friends and family, the Oxford community grieved the tragedy during the weeks that followed the shooting. The four students who died were Tate Myre, Hana St. Juliana, Madisyn Baldwin & Justin Shilling. Memories their fellow classmates and loved ones shared with them will forever be cherished. Ella Gilling, a junior at Oxford High School, illustrated “They were amazing people with many talents,” during an evening mass at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Lake Orion.

Students from Oxford High School gather for a candle lighting service in honor of the victims of the shooting. Credit: Nick Hagen, The New York Times.
 A banner filled with prayers for the Oxford community and the victims who died. Credit: Fox 2 Detroit.