Cancellation of the Football Season

Veronica Kordmany, Sports Editor

This fall season has been challenging for the Great Neck Varsity Football team. Starting the season with a risk of being ineligible to compete due to a lack of players on the north team, the merging of football teams has become permanent. Despite the hard work and dedication of coaches, advisors, and athletes to practices and training, the Great Neck team lost against Jericho. Five varsity athletes were injured as a result of this game.

According to Great Neck North’s Athletic Director Eamonn Flood, 19 total athletes are required to form a competing team. However, to strive for greater and “be truly competitive, you need to have in the mid-30’s”. Senior football players are devastated as they no longer have a football season. With the cancellation of the football season, football players were no longer able to host the annual Homecoming.

Traditionally scheduled the Saturday of Spirit Week, Homecoming has always been the pride and joy of the football teams, regardless of a win. When announced that the Girls Volleyball team would serve as a replacement for the annual game, many students voiced their frustrations via Facebook. Junior Josh Wigler settled the argument when he spoke out on behalf of Student Organization, stating, “To be clear, each and every team at Great Neck North is an important part of the fabric of our school.”

As for the years to come, Flood assured with full confidence that “if kids want to play football, we want to support them and are exploring different leagues and league structure that will allow us to have football in the future.” Administration in the school supports the football program and the merge of both teams.