Juniors Take On APs: Advice & Opinions

APs are Advanced Placement college-level classes. These courses and exams are invigorating and require effort. Many high-schoolers begin taking these classes during their junior year. This article represents Great Neck North’s junior class of 2024’s thoughts and advice on APs.

If you are a freshman reading this, you may be wondering what does AP even mean, and why do my older siblings and peers always stress about it? AP stands for Advanced Placement, and these exams are college-level tests on a wide range of subjects. APs are graded on a 1-5 scale, and having a high score can provide students with college credits. Junior year is notorious for AP classes, especially here at Great Neck North High. Here’s what your fellow junior class of 2024 has to say about APs.

Most AP exams are about three hours. The tests usually begin with multiple choice questions, then short response questions, and finally long response questions (Credit: Google Images).

Nicole Yeroushalmi:

“I think APs are extremely important for offering that extra level of challenge for students who need it,” said Nicole Yeroushalmi. “They offer a glimpse into the college and university level of difficulty, which allows for participating students to be better prepared for the next step in their lives. While there are other options, such as dual enrollment, it is important that students take advantage of the options we have here, which are AP classes. AP exam season is notoriously difficult and extremely stressful on students. However, it is important for students who are handling a large load of AP classes and general schoolwork to manage their studying as well as their mental health during this period.”

It is important for students who are handling a large load of AP classes and general schoolwork to manage their studying as well as their mental health during this period.

— Nicole Yeroushalmi

Common APs taken during junior year include AP US History, AP Statistics, AP Biology, and AP Language (Google Images).

Talia Sarraf:

Talia Sarraf said, “I personally think it is a great experience to be offered AP classes as they are rigorous and challenging and they give students a glimpse of what to expect in college. In such a competitive school like Great Neck North, however, I feel that there is an immense pressure to take as many AP classes as possible and that some people take AP classes not for themselves but in order to show others.” 

Kristina Feng:

“I think APs are honestly a great course for challenging yourself and testing your abilities with time management and also adapting to new challenges,” said Kristina Feng. “Although I find myself struggling quite a lot, many of the courses have information that I enjoy learning about. My advice would definitely be to challenge yourself, but also be aware of when it becomes too much. Sometimes it can be hurtful to be too ambitious and that definitely happened with me. APs rely a lot on your own choices and much of the studying and work is on your own time. It is definitely important to maintain a good relationship with your teacher and to seek out when you need help!”

A five on the AP exam usually translates to a 75%. Most fives on APs guarantee beneficial college credit (Credit: Google Images).

Maya Menashe:

Maya Menashe said, “I think APs offer a really great opportunity for students who are looking for a challenge. Although some are more rigorous than others, APs can help students determine what career path they want to pursue in the future. Additionally, it saves time and money when you go to college. APs overall benefit students not just because of the content they learn but also because it teaches students how to manage their time in college and beyond. APs are really the main thing that sticks with students in college, and I think students should try to take at least one AP during their high school career.” 

Most juniors can agree that although AP courses can be intellectually challenging, all the hard work they put in becomes worth it in the long run due to its numerous academic benefits. AP classes can improve study skills, expand knowledge, and possibly open students to a new passion in a subject.