Guide Post

When Can We Call Catalonia a Country?

Jason Beeferman, Opinion Editor

Friday, October 27, 2017 is sure to become a date that will be remembered for centuries. Last week marked the day that Catalonia, a prosperous region in the northwest of Spain, voted for its independence from Spain, and to secede into its own country. The Catalonian Independence is an issue that is both extremely controversial and complex, as it dates back to 1150 when the Queen of the Aragon Kingdom (which then included Catalonia) married the Count of Barcelona, merging both the regions together. From the beginning of Spain’s official unification Catalonia has always seen themselves as “separate” to a certain degree. Catalonia has its own distinct culture, cuisine, traditions, holidays and language, and was previously seen as an autonomous region under the Spanish government. However, many Catalonians have always wanted full independence from Spain, as many of them reject their Spanish identity and identify strictly as Catalonian. Moreover, many Catalonians wanted independence from Spain due to economic reasons, as the wealthy region on the Mediterranean often feels like it has been exploited to help out the rest of Spain, especially the parts hit hardest by the 2008 financial crisis. This is why many Catalonians point towards economic freedom as their main reason for their quest for independence.

On the day of the Catalonian referendum, things in Spain got chaotic. As Catalonians across the region hoped to vote on their own independence, the Spanish government came in to purposefully stop Catalonians from voting at their polling stations. The Spanish government seized many voting pamphlets and posters as things escalated to violence in multiple places across the country. Despite the Spanish efforts, the voting results yeilded an independence for Catalonia, yet Spain is not so willing to let that happen. The Spanish government’s overall reaction to the independence movement and referendum has been to deny recognition of Catalonia’s call for independence, and rather maintain that the region is still a part of Spain. Perhaps Spain’s reaction is justified, as the federal government of the U.S. would never allow a state to secede from the nation. The wrestling of ideologies seems to exist between the preserving of unions and honoring popular sovereignty. Which is more just in the 21st Century? As a believer in representation and governments that represent the people’s view, if a state themselves wanted to secede, why should all the other states be able to tell them they can’t? Is this not the same as the colonies wanting to secede from British rule? Despite the history of our own nations birth, throughout other times in history, like the forming of the confederacy, secession based on popular sovereignty is widely looked down upon. As the saying goes, history is written by the winners, therefore years from now, Catalonia’s strive for independence will only be revered if they are successful in their causes.

Until then much more has to be established before Catalonia can become its own country. As is protocol, for an individual region to officially be deemed a country it first has to be recognized as such by multiple other independent nations, which is a difficult feat especially considering all of Spain’s existing allies. In addition, Catalonia will have to set up its whole independent governmental system, embassies, diplomats, and all the other things necessary for an independent country to run as such. Right now, it’s too early to call Catalonia it’s own country, but perhaps soon Catalonia will make history and enter the world stage as the newest officially recognized country.