The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

Spirit Week 2.0

North High celebrated an extra Spirit Week this fall because of the postponement of the homecoming games. Students and staff joined together demonstrating their pride and enthusiasm for our school by dressing up and attending pep rally and the weekend games.

Yup, you read that right, Spirit Week round two! This fall, we celebrated Spirit Week not only in September, but also an honorary Spirit Week in October.

This extra Spirit Week took place after the rescheduling of Pep Rally and North High’s homecoming soccer games due to inclement weather. Pep Rally was rescheduled for Friday, Oct. 13, and North High’s two homecoming games were rescheduled for Sunday, Oct. 15. 

Events like Spirit Week are a fun way for the community to come together and show our school spirit, so when students heard about the inclement weather, there was some initial upset. Freshman Maya Etat said, “I was upset at first when I heard the pep rally was canceled.” Although students were initially disappointed by the news, the new spirit week and rescheduling offset negative feelings. Junior Lily Adzhiashvili said, “The pep rally was worth the wait!”

In the lead up to the Pep Rally, the S.O. arranged four dress up days leading up to homecoming.

Dress up day posters posted in front of the school (Credit: Ella Shamash).

The week started off with a classic, Pajama Day. A fan favorite, students enjoyed this cozy and relaxing first day back after the long weekend, wearing their most comfortable pajama attire. 

Ms. Carpenter rocking her Sesame Street pajamas on Pajama Day! (Credit: Ella Shamash).

Wednesday was Twins Day, where people dressed in matching outfits. Both students and staff were spotted twinning throughout the day. 

Juniors Kate Lu and Lily Adzhiashvili wearing matching pants on Twins Day! (Credit: Ella Shamash).

On Thursday it was Jersey Day, the final dress up day before the pep rally. Students and staff dressed in their favorite professional sports team apparel!

Friday tied the week together with a Blazer Day theme, where colors of blue and orange were seen as our school joined together for the Pep Rally in the morning.

During the Pep Rally, all varsity sports teams made an entrance to a song of their choice in front of the school. In addition, there were performances by the cheer team and Kilties. 

The Pep Rally was an astounding success, with an electric atmosphere of enthusiasm that ignited the entire school. “I thought it was the best pep rally since I have become a teacher here,” said Mr. Caesar said. “There was great energy and enthusiasm.”

On Sunday, students, staff, and families attended the homecoming games showing support for North High’s varsity soccer teams.

Ironically, there was yet another issue due to the weather that impacted Sunday’s games. Due to the rain on Saturday, our field was rendered unplayable due to poor conditions. The games were relocated to the United States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point. The girls varsity soccer team won 1-0 and the boys varsity soccer team won 4-1. It was an exciting day for North High!

Junior Ori Geula said, “Even though there was not as much participation compared to the other week, people still put in effort.” This Spirit Week brought students together in a week filled with school pride, during a time when unity was needed the most.

Overall, there was not nearly as much participation as the first spirit week considering the circumstances, however there was still lots of spirit shown.

North High’s cheerleading team performing at Pep Rally 2023 (Credit: GNN Website)
View Comments (1)