The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

Reflecting on Tech-Free Day

Oct. 23rd marked the first technology free day at North High. Teachers were encouraged to create lessons geared towards interactive learning and students were asked to leave their iPads in their backpacks for one day.

How many of your classes use technology at least once during the forty minute period? After a recent survey done at North High, it was found that, on average, roughly 6-8 classes use technology at least once within the period. Thus, on Oct. 23 the first technology free day was enacted, ultimately resulting in a successful day of interactive learning.

The message got out regarding the techless day through the display of posters around the school and emails that were sent out to the North High community. Some students responded positively, while others found the day unnecessary.

“While I understand the importance of having technology free days, I found that by being unable to use technology in certain classes, my class was less successful in accomplishing the lesson,” said junior Maytal Imani.

Posters seen around the school announcing the tech-free day. (Credit: Great Neck Public Schools)

Library department chair Ms. Lerner explained that the rationale behind the day was that research, including in the form of a surgeon general warning, has demonstrated the negative effects regarding the use of technology amongst adolescents.

Ms. Lerner finds that much of students’ and faculties’ days are driven by technology, therefore she wanted students to experience the culmination effect of having a technology free day. The faculty now wants to implement a tech-free day at least once a month to see the long-lasting effects on student mental health and well being. 

“For my own class, I found that doing a tech free lesson, the students were more focused and interacted with each other more,” said Ms. Lerner. She continued, “Students felt more connected to their peers and the material for classes that utilized the day for hands in discussions and lessons.”

I found the days to be successful as well. It was refreshing to experience classes outside of the digital world of Google classroom and notability. By doing so, I was able to genuinely reflect on the material I was being taught. 

“It was nice to have for a day, but it would be unproductive to have it more than once a quarter because technology is important,” said junior Joyce Fu.

Student, Becca Slobin, partaking in technology free day and taking notes for her AP biology class. (Credit: Daniella Nissim)
Junior Becca Slobin partaking in technology free day and taking notes for her AP biology class (Credit: Daniella Nissim).

Furthermore, technology has been increasingly evolving in classroom settings as a result of COVID-19. During quarantine, teachers had to rely on digital technology in order to communicate with students.

After returning to school, many teachers continued to utilize these digital teaching methods as it was an efficient way to teach and ultimately improved student learning. However, the accumulation of teachers relying on technology leads many students to experience too much technology and negatively affects students who do not have easy access to technology outside of school.

Many students experience the effects of COVID-19 on their learning. (Credit: Pew Research Center)
Many students experience the effects of COVID-19 on their learning. (Credit: Pew Research Center).

Overall, the technology free day was an interesting method of reflecting on the role of technology in students and faculty. The day allowed students to rethink how much of their day is spent on their devices.