Spirit Week: The Recap

Nicole Aziz, Staff Writer

Here at North High, students take spirit to a whole new level, with each grade uniting as one and taking on competitive challenges each day.  With exciting events and a desire to do everything one can to receive “that extra point,” there couldn’t be a better way to bring the school together.  The tension between grades was unavoidable, and only intensified as students were on the edge of their seats waiting for the final scores to be announced.  

‘Merica Monday: Spirit Week commenced with a burst of patriotic colors adorning the halls, and students strolled into school decked out in the colors of the flag. After school, students cheered on their peers on the front lawn. One girl and one boy represented their class in the pie-eating competition. The seniors finished the day in the lead.

Color War Day: Students with bright streaks of color painted across their faces sported their respective class t-shirts on the second day of Spirit Week. Tuesday’s Quiz Bowl consisted of students in the audience whispering the two answers they actually knew to their friend in the chair next to them, in awe of their classmates on stage who knew the majority of the answers. Though there was a very close call between the juniors and seniors, the seniors took the win.

Pajama Day: Students strolled into school on Wednesday in their favorite pair of pajamas. Some students kept it simple, wearing sweats and a t-shirt, while others went extreme and came to school in onesies.

Senior Kayla Kamali, who came to school dressed in a onesie carrying a giant stuffed teddy bear, said, “I love the festivities and getting all dressed up, especially if it’s in cozy pajamas, so whoever didn’t dress up, you need to re-evaluate yourself!”

After school, students raced to the field to cheer on the female football players and the hilarious male cheerleaders in Powderpuff. One of the football players, Junior Noa Gorjian, said, “I loved having the chance to be apart of Powderpuff, because I love participating in school activities and having fun, especially since I got to the chance to help my grade win spirit week.” The games took longer than expected so they ended in a tie between the juniors and freshmen for first place, and the seniors and sophomores for second place.

Neon Day: On Thursday, students were thrilled to dress as colorful and bright as they could. Although there were many people who dressed up and the day was an overall success, it appeared to be one of the less popular days of Spirit Week. After school, large groups of students from every grade gathered in their respective hallways and transformed them to convey a theme.

Junior class president Noah Hakim explained, “The Class of 2019’s hallway involved the class’ strengths and also memories from our years at Great Neck North High. The process was fascinating because of how quickly the hallway changed from just blue lockers to all sights of amazing artistic things. My favorite part was definitely seeing many members of our grade collaborating to make an eye-catching hallway and also Sarah Tang’s awesome drawing of superheroes.”

Each grade decorated the halls in a unique and creative way which definitely added to the excitement surrounding  Pep-Rally and Homecoming! The Can Drive was also scored on Thursday, making the score: Seniors-165, Juniors-160, Sophomores-160, and Freshman-140. This meant that the outcomes of the events at Pep Rally would dictate the results of Spirit Week.

Blazer Day: Spirit Week ended on a high note with Blazer Day. Students dressed in blue and orange were really excited for Pep Rally. As usual, Pep Rally was arguably the highlight of Spirit Week with everything from the advisor games, to kilties and cheerleaders performing, to the orchestra’s performance, to the grade dances taking place.

Junior Ashley Chaman said, “Friday was my favorite day, because we got to see the talents of the Kilties, Cheerleaders, dancers, athletes, singers and even teachers! The spirit and energy of the whole school being together in one place really made it a great way to end the week.”

Results: The juniors won the advisor games, giving them another 20 points. Lastly, the grade dances were all amazing—especially the senior dance which especially entertained the crowd of students. After a long and exciting week, the juniors emerged victorious, followed by the sophomores in second, the seniors in third, and finally, the freshmen in last place.