Hall of Fame

Keva Li and Isabel Yang

What do ex-Beatle Ringo Starr, Singer Tony Bennett, Guitarist Steve Vai, and Great Neck North High School musicians all have in common? They all received the opportunity to perform on the same stage!

NH Musicians were selected to perform at the Westbury Music Theatre for Long Island Music Hall of Fame’s special family holiday concert on Nov. 19 at 2 p.m. The concert featured a limited number of top caliber Long Island school music ensembles, including John L. Miller Great Neck North High School Symphony Orchestra, Concert Band, and Concert Choir. Other ensembles include Herricks HS Jazz Ensemble, Oyster Bay HS Wind Ensemble, Syosset HS Adelettes, Uniondale HS Rhythm of the Knight Show Choir, and Northport HS Touring Choir.

To prepare for the highlight performance of the year, students were required to attend at least seven rehearsals, squeezed between sports practices and extra help. Early Sunday morning, musicians arrived at school by 7:30 a.m. to warm up and rehearse before going to the Westbury Music Theatre for a soundcheck prior to the concert.

The program consisted of Great Neck North High School’s Orchestra and Chorus opening the concert with Oratario by Saint Saens, following with the band’s playing of Stachmo, a song dedicated to Louis Armstrong. NH Musicians and Sal Valentinetti concluded together with the playing of What a Wonderful World and Hello Dolly.

Congratulations to the performing musicians!