The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

Spirit Week Day 5: Blazer Day

Arguably the most important day of Spirit Week, Blazer Day and the Pep Rally are a time in which North students celebrate North High School and what it represents. Sports teams parade around the gym, each team performing their skit or dance as they run out, and both the Kilties and cheer team put on a show. However, unlike years prior, this year’s Pep Rally was postponed to October 13th as a result of inclement weather conditions on Homecoming Day. Still, Blazer Day helped unify teachers and students alike as people dressed in blue and orange attire filled North High School.

Divisions from the prior day were forgotten. The tense atmosphere that once existed between the grades as a result of the fierce competition that is Spirit Week was dissipated. As the day right after Class T-shirt day, in which students are divided based on their grades, Blazer Day ended the hectic Spirit Week with unity. Students, no matter their age or gender, were clad in Blazer apparel and joined under one common thread- North High.

Years prior, Blazer Day and Pep Rally would occur on the same day, namely, Friday, the day before Homecoming. By ending Spirit Week with the pre-Homecoming Pep Rally, students were able to channel the increasing belongingness they felt to North High throughout the week into cheering for the sports teams. In return, the athletes would become encouraged and even more motivated to play and win their Homecoming matches, most of which were North vs. South rivalry games, the next day. This year the Pep Rally was postponed to Oct. 13 due to inclement weather. Many North High students were shocked and saddened to hear the news.

North High’s varsity cheer team before performing at Pep Rally 2022 (Credit: @gnncheerleading Instagram Page)

Senior badminton player Adrian Shiu said, “As part of the badminton team, my teammates and I are disappointed that the pep rally was canceled.” He continued, “But it’s still inspiring to see so many of my peers clad in blazer colors.”

Although the Pep Rally was canceled, Blazer Day continued its annual tradition of invoking school spirit among teachers and students alike. People decked out in Blazer apparel could be seen in classrooms throughout the school.

Junior Ashley Liu said, “It unites the school.”

Sophomore Max Pour and Senior Ethan Dayani donning Blazer apparel. The two students represent unity despite being in different grades (Credit: Kian Soleymani).

Blazer Day also marked the end of the competition-filled Spirit Week. Students were nervous to hear the results of their hard work. Each person wanted to officially see their grade reign supreme and they could only hope that their grade’s performance during the Pie Eating Contest, Tug of War, Hallway Battle, and Quiz Bowl was enough to propel them to victory. 

North High’s Original Spirit Week Calendar. The winner of this year’s Spirit Week competition is the senior class (Credit: Alison Eckert).

Although Spirit Week was a fun addition to the otherwise stressful school atmosphere, it was not without criticism. Many students reached a consensus that the events felt unoriginal or repetitive and seniors especially felt that new ideas should be implemented after having gone through Spirit Week three times before. 

Senior Nicole Yeroushalmi said, “I think it is great to have events to bring our school together as a community.” She added, “Perhaps in the future having different events such as ‘Anything but a Water Bottle Day’ or ‘Anything but a Backpack Day’ like South High had would be a great idea.”

Nevertheless, Blazer Day marked the end of a fun-filled Spirit Week. Although the Pep Rally will not be occurring until later this month, students and teachers continued to bond over their shared joy. North High is and always will be a family.