The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

Pushing Boundaries: How Grit Shapes Success Stories at North High

“Grit” is a term often used to describe a combination of perseverance, determination, resilience, and a strong work ethic. It refers to the ability to persist in pursuing long-term goals despite facing obstacles, setbacks, or failures.
Grit includes maintaining resilience and perseverance. (Credit: Istock)

Over this past summer, all students at North High were asked to read the novel Grit by Angela Duckworth.  Duckworth is an American academic, psychologist, and popular author. She is a Professor of Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania, where she studies grit and self-control.

A photo of Angela Duckworth’s novel (Credit: Angela Duckworth)

In the novel, Duckworth heavily expresses the importance and concept of grit in her research. She suggests that grit is a key predictor of success in various areas of life, including education, career, and personal achievement. Along with this, she creates something called the “grit scale.” After answering a series of questions, you are left with a score that reflects how passionate and persevering one presumes oneself to be. 

The “Grit Scale” reflects how passionate and persevering one presumes oneself to be. (Credit: Angela Duckworth)

To get a score complete the questionnaire given with the following link. The image on the left is the list of questions created by Duckworth. The image on the right represents what percentile you fall in, regarding how much grit you have, based on your score. 

https://angeladuckworth.com/grit-scale/ 

Individuals with a high level of grit are often willing to put in the effort required to achieve their goals, even when faced with challenges. They tend to be more focused, dedicated, and willing to practice and improve their skill over time. 

An image depicting Grit (Credit: Getty Images)

Students at North High who read the novel, felt as if they could relate to it in many aspects.  Students found ways that “Grit” related to their academics, sports, hobbies, etc.

“Grit relates to my life when it comes to sports,” said freshman Jolie Moalemi. “When I’m playing and I feel as if I can’t go further, I’m tired or bored, there’s that part of me that keeps saying don’t give up. If I really want to be a better player, I have to push for it.” 

Junior Ben Salamatbad also found a reflection of grit in his athletic career.

“A few months before tryouts, I realized that if I wanted to make the team I would have to put in the effort, time, and be determined to achieve my goals,” said Salamatbad. “Although it was hard, and I faced many problems along the way, I succeeded and ended up making the team.” 

“When it comes to grit, I see it the most when it comes to studying for the classes I have trouble with,” said Senior Tal Folkshner. “I repeat to myself that nothing comes easy and I have to work for what I want.” 

In addition to Duckworth relating to the lives of students at North High, she also influences parents, adolescents, and teens all over the world.

It is apparent that having grit shapes an individual’s character. While grit is often associated with long-term goals, it can pertain to one’s day-to-day life. It could be as simple as fulfilling your to-do list, finishing homework, or even tidying up one’s room.