The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

Game Over: Wrapping Up the Thrilling Fall Sports Season

In the wake of the final whistle and the last echo of cheers, the school’s fall sports season bids a poignant farewell.

North High’s fall sports season unfolded as a showcase of athleticism, camaraderie, and an unwavering commitment to excellence. Whether on the volleyball courts or the soccer pitch, athletes exhibited their skills, determination, teamwork, and sportsmanship, leaving a lasting mark on the school’s sports legacy.

One of the exceptional successes of the season was the boys’ varsity soccer team’s remarkable journey. With intense dedication and a well-devised game strategy, players maneuvered through their schedule, leaving fans with suspenseful games and unforgettable plays.

North High’s boys’ varsity soccer team after winning the first game of the season against Roslyn (Credit: Evan Lavian).
North High’s boys’ varsity soccer team after winning the season’s first game against Roslyn (Credit: Evan Lavian).

The team ended their regular season with a record of five wins, five losses, and two ties, clinching a playoff spot.

In a heartbreaking fashion, the team got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. However, it was in these challenging moments that the team’s true character came to the surface. Resilience, sportsmanship, and a never-give-up attitude defined their journey, leaving spectators inspired and proud of their remarkable efforts.

Additionally, the girls’ varsity tennis team showcased exceptional skill and finesse on the court. They won 12 of their 16 games, which led them to qualify for the playoffs.

The team went on to win the first round of playoffs. Sadly, they lost in the second round— but Coach Mindy and Coach Ragot were still proud.

“We won the conference for the first time since 1977,” said Coach Mindy.

Similarly, the girls’ varsity volleyball team ended their season with 12 wins and four losses. Their long practices, continuous drive, and hard work were truly proven by the outcomes of their games this season.

Teammates also created forever bonds and friendships from playing alongside and motivating each other.

“The team has made me feel very welcomed,” said sophomore Juliana Levy. “It was like we were a family.”

Varsity and junior varsity players at their Dig Pink game (Credit: Nava Sedaghat).
Girls’ varsity and junior varsity players at the annual Dig Pink volleyball game (Credit: Nava Sedaghat).

Nonetheless, the girls were saddened by the news of not making it to the playoffs, especially after their consistent outstanding record. Hopefully, this will serve as motivation for the athletes to work even harder, in order to guarantee a spot in the playoffs next year. 

Another notable team at North High is the girls’ varsity soccer team.

Girls’ varsity soccer team celebrating after their win against South High at Homecoming (Credit: Emma Lavian).

Even though they were not able to achieve their best record, they still managed to persevere throughout the season. Their passionate spirit led them to take home a few victories.

Other fall sport teams at North High that deserve recognition are the boys badminton, boys volleyball, boys and girls cross country, girls swim, and girls field hockey. Most of these teams qualified for playoffs and if they didn’t, they reached goals as a team and on an individual level.

“The cross country team is everything to me and running is so beautiful,” said senior Noa Pourmoradi. 

As the fall sports season comes to a close, it leaves behind memories, lessons, and a sense of pride. Athletes now return to the off-season or enter a new sports season for the winter, where they will prepare their bodies physically and mentally in order to come back to the next fall sports season better than ever before.