The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

Stanley Safety Scandal

The cupware powerhouse, Stanley, is facing immense backlash on the internet after recent findings uncovered lead in the cups. Users are now concerned about potential lead poisoning and their overall health.

Stanley cups have taken the internet by storm; however, their popularity is now being questioned after the company admits to using lead in the cups. The company rose to fame after their Quenchers went viral on social media platforms, particularly TikTok. The tumblers are largely responsible for Stanley going from a reported $73 million in revenue in 2019 to $750 million in 2023. The tumbler retails for forty five dollars on the Stanley website and is continually growing in popularity with newly released designs.

Stanley cups are extremely popular and come in a variety of different designs (Credit: NewsNation).

However, customers are beginning to reconsider the safety of the popular cups after users discovered that the cups contained lead. Stanley clarified that the manufacturing process of their reusable cups require lead as a means of keeping the drinks stored within the cups hot or cold for the desired length of time. The lead is not in direct contact with the drinks, as it is confined in a pellet at the bottom of the cups. So the only exposure a user may have to the lead is if their cups are damaged. Despite this, some users are not bothered by the lead and plan to continue to use them. 

The lead is contained in a small pellet at the bottom of the cup (Credit: The Today Show).

“Honestly I try not to think about the fact there is lead in the Stanley cup,” said junior Sabrina Bowen, an avid Stanley Quencher user. 

Users are particularly concerned due to the extreme dangers of lead poisoning. Even small exposure to lead, such as exposure resulting from a damaged Stanley Quencher, could have detrimental effects. Lead poisoning has been found to cause heart disease, kidney disease, birth defects, and it can have worse effects for the development of children.

Competing cup brands such as HydroFlask and Klean Kanteen have taken the Stanley scandal as a means to promote their own tumblers and brand, marketing their lead-free manufacturing process. HydroFlask took to social media to boast about their lead free tumblers; however, they failed to point out that they, too, used lead until a safety advocate called out the company, resulting in changes to their production process.

Stanley and HydroFlask are competing brands (Credit: The Arrowhead).

“I used to love my Stanley cup and carry it all around school, but they have gotten annoying with spilling everywhere,” said senior Mikaela Imani. “After seeing this scandal, I do not like my cup even more.”

Despite the company’s statement regarding the safety of the cups for all users, they are still yet to acknowledge the human impact for manufacturers. The facility workers who produce the cups are exposed to lead and therefore are at a higher risk of potential lead poisoning. By removing lead from the cups, the company can increase the safety of workers—something many users are looking for in their company.

“I hope Stanley takes this as an opportunity to grow as a company and fix the issues,” said junior Maytal Imani.