The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

“Super Mario Seniors” Dominate Battle ‘24

Excitement filled the air at North High as students, staff, and family gathered in the gymnasium for this year’s highly anticipated Battle of the Classes event.

A night of intense rivalry, spirited competition, and dazzling performances; the four classes competed in a series of challenges to determine the ultimate victor.

Winning every event besides the poster contest, the Class of 2024 won the competition. The juniors came in second place, the sophomores in third, and the freshmen in last. 

From relay races and tug-of-war to poster making and dancing, the events tested each grade’s teamwork, creativity, and athleticism.

Juniors versus sophomores in tug-of-war (Credit: Ella Shamash).

“We all needed to work together,” said junior Jade Nabavian, a battle participant. 

This year’s themes were “Formula One Freshman”, “Super Sophomores”, “Jackpot Juniors”, and “Super Mario Seniors” (Credit: Eliza Schulman).

When the Battle posters are proudly displayed in front of the school, everyone knows that the long-awaited competition is right around the corner. The impressive posters become a focal point, commanding the attention of all who pass by. Students and teachers alike pause to admire the artwork in awe. 

This year’s Battle of the Classes showcased a colorful array of themes, each representing the unique spirit of their respective grade. The freshmen embraced the theme “Formula One Freshman,” channeling the energy of racing with their enthusiastic spirit. The sophomores took on the theme of “Super Sophomores,” with a dance depicting superheroes versus supervillains, with the girls as the heroes and the boys as villains. 

The juniors came up with “Jackpot Juniors,” embodying the excitement of a casino with black clothes and gold accessories. Last but not least, the seniors paid reference to a beloved video game with their theme “Super Mario Seniors,” transporting spectators into the world of Mario and friends with their playful costumes. Their theme not only referenced the iconic video game but also added a touch of humor with a play on the term “super seniors.”

The Jackpot Juniors (Credit: Mr. Hartwig).

What makes Battle so special is the ability it has to provide students with the opportunity to bond with their classmates and create unforgettable experiences together.

“Participating in battle was one of the highlights of my freshman year,” said freshman Letizia Kaya. “I had such a fun time and the atmosphere and energy the audience and participants gave was unmatchable.”

Hours of preparation for Battle culminated in captivating dance performances that wowed the audience. Each dance was meticulously choreographed to align with the theme chosen by each grade, showcasing the creativity of the students involved. 

The seniors were decked out in Super Mario costumes as they performed their dance (Credit: Sandy Shaoolian).

“The dance was hard to get together at first, but in the end, it was worth it because we came together as a grade and made it great,” said junior Ashley Ofir, who helped choreograph the junior’s dance.

Watching the dances is undoubtedly one of the most anticipated parts of the night. The best part is that every student who participates in battle is involved. You do not have to be a dancer to dance!

This year’s Battle was a night to remember regardless of whether you participated or simply spectated.

“It was truly a lot of fun and a great event that got all the grades together,” said senior and Battle MC Ethan Paimany. “Seeing the grades compete against each other was very fun to commentate about and watch.”

Until next year, when Battle will be reignited once again.