The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

Biden’s Bold Address: A Nation at the Crossroads

President Joe Biden often gets lambasted by liberal media for inaction and lack of progressivism as the Democratic Party’s front runner. However, his State of the Union address in 2024 garnered immense support and applause from legislators and government officials alike. Read more about the notoriously patriotic address in this emotional yet informative report of the night.

In the hallowed halls of Congress, President Joe Biden stepped up to the podium, his gaze steady, his resolve unwavering. The room buzzed with anticipation—Democrats, Republicans, and a smattering of independents—all waiting to hear what the leader of the free world had to say. The stakes were high, the spotlight intense. And as the cameras clicked, Biden began.

President Biden’s 2024 State of the Union address was a pivotal moment for our nation. With the world watching, he tackled pressing issues, drew sharp contrasts, and delivered a resounding message: America stands strong, even in the face of unprecedented challenges.

President Biden wasted no time. His opening salvo hit like a thunderclap: “Not since President Lincoln and the Civil War have freedom and democracy been under assault here at home as they are today.” The room held its breath. 

“I particularly didn’t like the fact that the speech became so political,” said senior Skyler Damaghi. “It felt more like a campaign speech than a State of the Union speech.”

Biden was incredulously fired up when giving his State of the Union address (Credit: CNN).

Overseas, Putin’s Russia loomed large, invading Ukraine and sowing chaos across Europe. Biden’s message was clear: We won’t bow down. We won’t walk away. Freedom’s flame would not flicker on his watch, according to AP News.

As Biden spoke, the ghost of Trump lingered. The former president, once a Republican firebrand, now whispered from the annals of history. Biden didn’t mince words: “My predecessor, a former Republican President, tells Putin, ‘Do whatever the hell you want.’” The room erupted. Outrage. Disbelief. Laughter. Yes, laughter. Because sometimes, humor is the best weapon against absurdity, as reported by CBS News.

“I thought Biden’s decision to go directly after his ‘predecessor’ on numerous occasions was an unexpectedly bold one,” said junior Ian Kim. “I didn’t think Biden would come out throwing hands… [that] definitely made it more engaging to watch.”

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green (R-Ga.) reacts during Biden’s address in an evidently discontent fashion and is responded with fiery contempt from the President (Credit: The Washington Post).

The audience—our nation’s heartbeat—swayed like a pendulum. Democrats nodded, their eyes alight with hope. Republicans shifted, their brows furrowed. And the independents? Well, they leaned back, arms crossed, waiting for substance. 

When Biden championed immigration reform, applause rippled. When he tackled tax policy, a few eye rolls. But when he spoke of unity, of a shared destiny, the room held its breath. For a moment, just a moment, we were one, as documented by TIME.

Biden’s menu was diverse, like a buffet of national woes. Climate change simmered next to healthcare reform. Gun control shared a plate with infrastructure. And education? Well, that was the dessert—sweet, necessary, and often overlooked. 

As Biden laid out his vision, he painted a mosaic of possibility. But the devil, as they say, was in the details. How would we pay for it all? Who would bear the burden? The room leaned in, forks poised.

Biden’s address also shone a spotlight on reproductive rights. He didn’t shy away from the topic, even though he never uttered the word “abortion.” Instead, he championed in vitro fertilization (IVF), urging Congress to “guarantee the right to IVF nationwide.” This shift in messaging came after an Alabama court decision rocked the IVF landscape, treating embryos as children and disrupting treatments for those seeking to conceive. 

Biden’s call to protect both abortion access and IVF resonated with guests like Kate Cox, a Texan mother who had to travel out of state for a medically necessary abortion. Her story, shared with First Lady Jill Biden, underscored the urgency of safeguarding reproductive freedom. Biden’s promise? If voters elect Democratic majorities in the House and Senate, he’ll push for a law enshrining nationwide protections for abortion access, echoing the landmark Roe v. Wade decision.

Biden originally condemned the U.S. Supreme Court’s “tragic error’’ of overturning Roe v. Wade (Credit: Inquirer.net).

“Biden delivered an impactful speech, especially when discussing women’s reproductive rights,” said junior Tamas Smulovics. “He definitely stood up to those Republicans who wanted more restrictions on abortion and various treatments, and I do not think critics to his left give him enough credit for bringing through common sense policies that protect the right to privacy.”

As Biden wrapped up, his voice softened. “We will not walk away,” he vowed. “We will not bow down.” The room stood, applause thundering, some individuals even shouting across the packed room throughout the address. And for a fleeting moment, we glimpsed the America we could be—a nation unyielding, resilient, and ready to face the crossroads ahead.

And so, as the cameras clicked off, the echoes of Biden’s words lingered. The nation held its breath, waiting to see if deeds would match rhetoric. But one thing was certain: In this historic chamber, freedom and democracy still had champions.