The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

Body Weights Plummet as Weight Loss Drug Use Skyrockets

With the recent development of effective weight loss medications such as Wegovy, Ozempic, and Zepbound, there has been a drastic surge of their use for both cosmetic and health purposes. Recent development of Amycretin, a weight loss pill over twice as effective as its predecessors have only added to this frenzy. Though there have been concerns about the use of these weight loss drugs, there remains a bright outlook for these medications.

While weight loss treatments such as Wegovy, Ozempic, and Zepbound have taken the spotlight, recently, a new drug from Novo Nordisk promises to help people lose twice as much weight as the leading brands.

Novo Nordisk, the pharmaceutical company that manufactures blockbuster weight loss mediations such as Wegovy and Ozempic is currently testing Amycretin, a new pill that has been proving to be twice as effective as previous drugs (Credit: Reuters).

Novo Nordisk, the creator of Wegovy and Ozempic, is testing Amycretin, a new pill that has seen patients losing twice as much weight in early trials, with people losing 13% of their body weight in three months, compared to a 6% loss on average from Wegovy and Ozempic in the same time frame.

Amycretin works similarly to other weight loss medications developed by Novo Nordisk— by stimulating the release of the hormone GLP-1, the medication is able to reduce appetite, mimicking the feeling of being full so people eat less and feel less hungry.

However, there are marked differences.

While the previously mentioned weight loss drugs Wegogy, Ozempic, and Zepbound are administered via a weekly injection on the upper arm, stomach, or thigh, Amycretin is taken daily as a pill.

Additionally, Amycretin stimulates another hormone called amylin, which decreases blood glucose, thereby further promoting reduction in body weight.

Early clinical trials conducted over a three-month period have shown promising results, with Novo Nordisk hoping to begin a second phase of trials later this year in order to test effectiveness and safety of the drug. Regardless, Martin Holst Lange, head of development at Novo Nordisk, is optimistic that the drug will be released within this decade.

With the rising popularity weight loss medications have recently seen, Amycretin will be entering a billion-dollar weight loss market.

Across social media, users have been sharing their usage of various weight loss medications, with notable celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey and Elon Musk discussing their usage of weight loss for positive results.

On TikTok, the hashtag #Ozempic has reached over 600 million views, with many users sharing their weight loss transformations using various different weight loss drugs.

Recent weight loss drugs such as Ozempic have seen a drastic surge in use, with celebrities and users across social media advocating for their usage for cosmetics and health (Credit: VanWyk).

With this ever-rising popularity, various other major pharmaceutical companies, including Eli Lilly, the manufacturer of Mournjaro and Zepbound, are racing to release new weight loss drugs.

However, the use of these weight loss medications isn’t as simple as simply taking a weekly injection and easily losing weight. Medications such as Ozempic and Wegovy can cost upwards of $1000 for a one-month supply when not covered by insurance for treating diabetes.

“I don’t think these weight loss treatments are a good replacement for traditional weight loss programs because it makes someone dependent on the weight loss pills, which might either lead to overuse or unhealthy habits,” said junior Danni Zheng.

As the growing trend of people using these medications for casual weight loss and cosmetic purposes continues, there has been concern about shortages of weight loss drugs such as Wegovy, which are in short supply, reducing the availability of the drug to those who need them.

Additionally, there have been concerns over some of the drugs’ side effects and a shift towards replacing traditional weight loss tactics such as exercise and dieting would not truly address the growing obesity problem in America.

While they do show promising results and help people lose significant amounts of weight that would be difficult to lose otherwise, it also decreases the chances of people improving their diet or exercise to address underlying habits and improve their health.

“I don’t see these weight loss treatments as a good replacement for traditional weight loss methods as it’s extremely unhealthy for one’s body,” junior Jessica Ong said.

Other trends have shown that many people who stop taking Ozempic and Wegovy quickly regain the weight they’ve lost– up to two thirds of their weight or more.

“I think weight loss pills can be a solution for certain individuals but not for everyone. I know that there are some who physically cannot lose any weight because of unrelated health issues, so maybe these are the types of instances where Wegovy and Ozempic can come into play and be useful,” said junior Sarah Schmelkin. “I feel like otherwise, exercise and a healthy diet should be the go-to solution for weight loss, especially since stopping the treatment results in patients regaining all the weight loss.”

“Personally, I would not use these treatments because of how little time they have been on the market. I’ve also seen on TikTok that some people experience unfortunate side effects as a result of being on the drug, which would scare me too much,” Schmelkin continued.

The use of weight loss drugs has nevertheless skyrocketed, especially with the promising development of Amycretin and other new medications. The choice to use them is ultimately up to the individual.

“People are responsible for their own bodies and they’re allowed to do whatever makes them happy,” said Ong.

Current leading medications for weight loss have shown up to a 6% decrease in body weight, while a three-month trial has demonstrated a 13% decrease in the same time frame (Credit: Women’s Health).