The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

Reflecting on the Life of Matthew Perry

Beloved Friends star, Matthew Perry, passed away on Oct. 28. While the cause of death is still being investigated, officials found Perry in an apparent drowning.

Friends star, Matthew Perry, was found dead in his hot tub on Oct. 28. Officials claim it was an apparent drowning.

Perry began his television debut on the hit television show, Friends, with co-stars, Jennifer Aniston, Courtney Cox, Matt LeBlanc, Lisa Kudrow, and David Schwimmer as the show followed the six friends navigating life as young adults living in Manhattan.

Four of the six Friends characters Joey, Chandler, Rachel, and Monica pictured. (Credit: People Magazine).
Four of the six Friends characters Joey, Chandler, Rachel, and Monica pictured (Credit: People Magazine).

On Friends, Perry played Chandler Bing, a young man living in Manhattan with his two roommates Joey Tribbiani and Ross Geller. His character is famously sarcastic and tells the story of many young people experiencing life in a big city.

“When I was scrolling through social media the other week, I was in shock when I found out about the passing of Matthew Perry. He was an iconic character on my favorite show Friends,” said junior Jade Nabavian. She continued, “I always remember talking to my friends about Chandler and he always made us laugh. I’m so upset that he’s gone.”

Despite his seemingly perfect on-screen character, Perry suffered from severe addictions to drugs and alcohol while filming the series. Through his recovery, he became an advocate for rehabilitation and spokesperson for the National Association for Drug Court Professionals. This led many to assume that Perry’s sudden death was drug related, however this has yet to be confirmed.

A recent picture of Perry posing at a Photocall for “The End of Longing” at The Playhouse Theatre in London. (Credit: Vanity Fair)
A recent picture of Perry posing at a Photocall for “The End of Longing” at The Playhouse Theatre in London (Credit: Vanity Fair).

Perry was loved by many, as he spoke out on important issues and did not shy away from any topics, especially in his memoir: Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing. His passing left many upset.

Perry’s memoir, “Friends, Lovers, and the Big, Terrible, Thing”. (Credit: Amazon)

“It was really sad to see one of my favorite actors, Matthew Perry, pass away so suddenly,” said junior Sarah Shmelkin. She continued, “I just hope that his family and friends are okay.”

Even those that did not watch the television series or any of Perry’s other works could reflect on his life and sudden death with sadness. 

“I was not very in tune with Matthew Perry or his work, but after hearing of his death, I was really upset,”  said freshman Adam Zhou.

As officials continue to investigate Perry’s death, many fans and supporters are left wondering the cause. Perry’s assistant found him unconscious in his hot tub at his home on Oct. 28. After calling paramedics, Perry was reported dead at the scene and officials reported an apparent drowning, however the autopsy and toxicology report have yet to be released.

While some believe it to be a heart attack, others claim that if that were the case, that information would have been released. Others believe that it could have been related to drugs or an overdose, however the toxicology reports show no sign of fentanyl or methamphetamine. Some peculiar that his death could have been linked to suicide. All causes have not been confirmed by officials.

Despite the mystery surrounding the cause of death, Perry’s life will continue to be cherished with the many laughs he provided throughout his acting career, the support and care he shared through his battle with drugs, and his memorable legacy that will continue to inspire many.