Girls Volleyball Spikes Back

Lenor Levy, Staff Writer

Attendees of the 2017 Homecoming Game saw overpriced water bottles, two adorable babies tentatively watching from the sidelines, and a nail-biting fifth set. The girls varsity volleyball team had been preparing all season to meet their arch rivals, Bethpage, a team that had previously defeated them, in a game that would further propel them into the playoffs. With six wins under its belt, the team undoubtedly had an incredible season, and, following an unexpected turn of events, was given the honor to represent the entirety of Great Neck North athletics at Homecoming.
While the majority of students cheered the girls on for their achievements, some saw the move as our new principal’s “latest attempt to change the culture of North.” The reaction that no one on the volleyball team could have anticipated was one rooted in sexism and misogyny. The reaction from the people who preferred homecoming to feature the boys’ volleyball team. The reaction from the people who thought it was “gay” for the cheerleaders and kilties to cheer on other girls. And, the reaction from the people who thought the volleyball team was stealing the spotlight from football. What truly appalled junior co-captain Daniele Lee, however, was that “the majority of the culprits were other girls.”
In an attempt to feel better about themselves, many girls have become vicious towards one another. They degrade each other, hurl names such as “hoe” and “slut” at each other, and completely tear each other down. What these girls don’t realize, however, is that humiliating other women does not make them better people, it makes them trash. Although this form of nastiness was not visible at the game, many girls thought the volleyball team was undeserving of their opportunity, while some even thought that there was no way a female sports event could ever be enjoyable. This underlying girl-on-girl hate has always been present in the halls of Great Neck North, but it became immensely noticeable at this year’s Homecoming Game. Lee recalls, “I always knew sexism existed in our school, but this is the first time I saw it, and it was disgusting.”
This is the form of discrimination that is the most detrimental. It is the kind without swastikas patched on jackets, the kind that doesn’t support the likes of Harvey Weinstein and Brock Turner–this is the invisible kind. It is that subconscious feeling that for some unapparent reason, girls will always be unworthy. The form of misogyny that lurks behind the shadows and only reveals itself when women have finally reached success. When you take a step back, however, it is clear that most of this hate is actually rooted in admiration.
Girls are jealous of each other and will go to extremes to make other girls feel bad about their successes. This hatred will neither remedy itself through a history lesson on Alice Paul nor Joan of Arc, nor through a random assembly. It is deeply embedded into the culture of America and will only dissipate with time. Hopefully, the young women who did support the girls varsity volleyball team were jealous of their accomplishments and aspired to be like them. We, as a united force, must replace this form of “admiration” with support and positivity because otherwise, this fight for equality is useless.
We live in a world in where women are treated as secondary to men. A world in which women are always disrespected and pitted against each other. Instead of accepting hate, it’s time to spread love because we cannot move forward if we are holding each other back. In the wise words of Tina Fey from “Mean Girls,” “We have to stop calling each other sluts and whores. It just makes it okay for guys to call us sluts and whores.” We have the power to level the playing field and push women forward, and it is time we use it.
This year, the volleyball team was able to “break the glass ceiling for all girls in Great Neck,” as junior Christina Li put it. The team showed the school how enjoyable it is to watch female athletes compete and how Homecoming is an event for every single Blazer. The team stood strong in the face of opposition and did not let a select group of individuals get them down. Next time, before we resort to hatred, let’s think of what we can do to create a more loving community in Great Neck. We have come so far as women, but there is still a long way to go. So, think of a woman you admire, a woman that you respect, and tell her, show her some love. Girls need to start encouraging one another, because a breakthrough made by just one woman, is a breakthrough for all women. We are all a part of the Blazer family, and it’s about time we started acting as such.