The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

Spirit Week Day 2: Tie-Dye and Tug of War

After an incredibly spirit-filled first day of Spirit Week, the grade levels at North High battle it out in the Tug of War while fashioning their vibrant tie-dye outfits.

This Tuesday, Spirit Week continued with teachers and students dressing up in colorful, tie-dyed clothing, and students battling in Tug of War.

To show school spirit, many students and faculty at North High sported tie-dyed shirts and hoodies in the hallways and in classes. Some clothes were even hand-dyed at the school’s annual Tie-Dye event, hosted after school on Friday, Sept. 15 on the front lawn. Students were invited to tie-dye T-shirts to wear for spirit week, adding a personal spin to the coordinated event. 

“I thought it was nice seeing everyone in different tie-dye shirts,” said senior Vian Hwang. “I think the tie-dye event after school was a creative way to involve everyone in an enjoyable and nostalgic activity.”

Spirit week events such as Tie-Dye Day give students and faculty many opportunities to show support for the school, while wearing fun and colorful outfits to create memories to look back on. This year has been one of the most participated in Spirit Weeks in recent years, and students have been bringing their A-game to keep up this shining reputation.

SO advisors Ms. Silk and Mrs. Healy sporting colorful tie-dye T-shirts (Credit: Great Neck North High Instagram Page).

“The tie-dye outfits were so creative this year,” said sophomore Sophia Li. “I can’t wait to see them next year.”

Don’t fret! If you missed out on Tie Dye Day, there are still opportunities to show school spirit during the week. The rest of the week hosts events such as Country vs. Country Club Day, Class T-shirt Day, and Blazer Day, along with Quiz Bowl, Pep Rally, and Homecoming. Speaking of school spirit, the interclass Tug of War contest took place after school with the student body ready to cheer on their classes like never before.

Seniors Lauren Kohanim and Chloe Hedvat rocking their tie-dye outfits (Credit: Chloe Hedvat).

Morale was extremely high this year, with each team raring to go and more confident than ever. As the last bell rang, a sea of rainbow tie-dye shirts emerged from the front steps and shotgunned for the lawn to observe the competitive showdown take place.

“The juniors are definitely going to win,” said junior Lucas Turofsky before the event.“We are the real seniors.” Turofsky was one of the juniors that competed in the Tug of War. 

Amidst cheers and chants, the event started with a bang as the seniors defeated the sophomores in a landslide. This win was met with a smatter of chants and applause from the senior onlookers, and with an accompanying rhythm encouraging the team.

The second round ensued immediately, with the juniors swiftly defeating the freshmen in a decided team effort. This left the upperclassmen in the finals, with the underclassmen battling for third place. 

The third place duel was climactic, with both the sophomores and freshmen seemingly overtaking their adversaries at certain points during the match. However, the sophomores eventually overpowered their underclassmen opponents to claim third place, to much excitement of onlookers.

The highly anticipated final round between the juniors and seniors came quick, and the audience was encouraging their competitors to absolutely destroy the competition. With music and cheers heard from around the ring of onlookers, the match began, and in an expected turn of events, the seniors overtook the juniors to take the final win in Tug of War.

A crowd of excited onlookers cheer on the final round (Credit: Ashley Dong).

“There were so many people spectating that one had to stand on their tippy toes to watch the event over the sea of heads,” said junior Isaac Xu. “Deafening cheers and loud music filled the air as the seniors defeated the juniors.”

Spirit Week this year is looking to be one of the most involved and supported events in recent years, and students look forward to showing their spirit in future events this week, like Quiz Bowl, and Pep Rally. Stay hyped for the rest of this week!