The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

More Than Just a Library

Libraries are typically regarded as a place to use computers, check-out books, and study. However, after new developments in the library this school year, many students view the North High library as something more.

In previous years, the library was always full of busy students studying for last minute tests. However, this past month, the North High library underwent changes that led students to gravitate towards this establishment as a way to spend time with friends, explore passions, and take their minds off of demanding classes. Students can now go to the library to find friendship bracelet stations, giant Uno, brain games, paint by sticker, a DJ station, and checkers.

One of the library’s most popular attractions is friendship bracelet making. In the back corner of the library, there are a plethora of materials including string, charms, beads, and thread, where students can relieve stress with their friends. The bracelets are a creative way to get your mind off of school and onto the surplus of designs available.

“I wanted the space to not only be a place where students can come and focus on homework or studying, but also act as a brain break during the school day,” said Mrs. Lerner, the head of the library department.

Students can also come to the library to play games such as giant UNO, checkers, and brain games. Among these brain games are puzzles, Rubik’s cubes, and kanoodles. The games are a wonderful way to bond with friends and spark conversation among classmates.

Students pictured playing a game of giant UNO in the library. (Credit: @gnnhslibrary on Instagram)

“With the new developments in the library, I look forward to playing UNO with my friends and getting a breath of fresh air from demanding classes,” said junior Maytal Imani.

Along with the other creative aspects of the library, the faculty has also implemented a Makerspace, where students can express themselves through equipment. Within the Makerspace, students can explore passions with tools such as DJ equipment and a Cricut machine. The Cricut machine can be utilized to create designs on various materials such as t-shirts through the use of vinyl.

Students seen utilizing the Cricut machine in the Makerspace to print designs using vinyl. (Credit @gnnhslibrary on Instagram)

“I think it’s nice that they added games to the library,” said senior Maya Menashe. She continued, “It allows me to take a quick break during my studying and college application process.”

To represent the library, North High students and faculty were asked to vote on a new mascot. After numerous suggestions and votes, it was decided, the new mascot would be Jay Goatsby. The mascot ties in with North High’s mascot, while paying homage to the classic character, J. Gatsby from “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

North High’s library mascot, Jay Goatsby, elected by student and faculty. (Credit: Great Neck Public Schools)

All of these changes can be seen on the library’s new Instagram account, @gnnhslibrary. Students can view the new developments and connect with the community through the online world.

Despite the vast modifications, one aspect that remains the same is the library staff. The staff is composed of immensely knowledgeable faculty who can advise on technology matters, book recommendations, research qualms, and any other related issues.

“The library staff is very knowledgeable and I want students to view the library as a resource beyond tangible means,” said Mrs. Learner.

These new additions to the library are a valuable asset to North High, providing an opportunity for students to collaborate with peers, mellow out throughout the day with games or books, and discover new technology.