The Student News Site of Great Neck North High School

Guide Post

Guide Post

Guide Post

From Old to New: Exploring Drakes Evolution in Music Style

One of the most prominent and successful musicians of his generation: Drake. Throughout his career, Drake has won multiple awards, including Grammy Awards, and has set various chart records. He is known for his distinctive rap style and introspective lyrics, often diving deep into personal and emotional themes.

Image of famous music producer, Drake (Credit: Billboard).

Drake has released numerous hit songs and albums, blending hip-hop, R&B, and pop in his music. Following such variety, fans and listeners of Drake have had a heavy interest in what Drake should sing about in the past few years.

In recent years, Drake’s music has been driven by themes of heartbreak and loss rather than years back when his theme was focused on being independent and inspirational. 

Earlier songs such asStarted From the Bottom” have expressed the idea that hard work and dedication can lead to success. The lyrics encourage listeners to persevere and rise above challenges.  

In another popular song, “Over,” Drake raps about overcoming obstacles and doubts to achieve his goals, inspiring listeners to strive for success.

On the contrary, in a more recent song, “Furthest Thing,” Drake’s lyrics song explore the feelings of loss and heartbreak that often accompany the end of a relationship. His evolution in these themes sparked curiosity among Drake fans about the return of “old Drake.” 

Drake won the Best Rap Song award for “God’s Plan” during the 61st Annual Grammy Awards on Feb. 10, 2019, in Los Angeles, California (Credit: Getty Images).

In his new album, “For All the Dogs,” Drake seems to be offering fans precisely what they’ve been longing for—a return to the roots of his music. “Dogs” is a meandering record that proves Drake is the king of jumping on trends.

“I really like how Drake’s album sets his music style apart from his more recent years music,” said Freshman Lauren Nassimi. She continued, “Although at times throughout the album Drake teased the listeners by giving off his ‘new self,’ his main focus is on giving the listeners his ‘old self.’” 

The album also presents a unique blend of Drake’s past and present with the inclusion of his son, Adonis. Adonis took a creative role by drawing the album cover, which features a goat that symbolizes his father. 

In tracks like “Daylight” and “My Man Freestyle,” Adonis delivers a rap verse, marking his entry into the music world. Drake even released Adonis’s first solo track as a heartfelt gesture on his son’s birthday.

Junior Mathew Melamed said, “Adonis being featured in Drake’s songs, music videos, and album cover gives us a good perception of the new Drake as it preserves him as a family guy.” 

“Overall I loved Drake’s new album,” said senior Caileen Makani. She continued, “The part that stood out to me the most was how he incorporated his son in different ways throughout the album.”

Drake’s “For All the Dogs,” album cover drawn by his son Adonis (Credit: Getty Images).

As Drake’s most inspirational quote from his latest album is “I’m not saying I’m the best at what I do, I’m just saying that it’s me versus whoever wanna lose,” it underscores his self-reliance, highlighting that, despite the shifts in his music, Drake will always be true to himself.

With “For All the Dogs,” Drake provides a musical journey that merges his past and present, offering fans a glimpse of the “old Drake” while incorporating his new traits.